Thick Baked Pork Chop Recipes
Nothing beats the taste of a pork chop on the grill in the summertime but there are times when we just can't grill outdoors because of the weather or apartment living. You can still enjoy a thick tender juicy loin chop indoors anytime.
A thick loin chop fried in a skillet will yield very good results but we found searing a thick chop in a skillet first and finishing in the oven gave us slightly more tender chops.
Know The Different Cuts From The Loin
|Loin Center Chops||Loin Rib Chops|
|Sirloin Pork Chops||Boneless Loin Center Chops|
|Boneless Loin Rib Chops|
How To Cook A Thick Loin Chop In A Skillet
How To Cook A Thin Loin Chop In A Skillet
This is an optional step, when cooking pork chops, brining them in a salt and sugar water solution followed with an optional dry rub will produce a tasty, moist chop. If the pork you have purchased is enhanced or seasoned do not use a brine solution or add any salt to the baked pork chop recipes.
1. If the chops you have purchased are seasoned or enhanced skip step one. For cooking 2-4 unseasoned chops dissolve about 1/2 cup of kosher salt or 1/4 cup of table salt and 1/2-3/4 cup of light brown sugar or 1/4-1/2 cup of sugar in 2 quarts (2 liters) of cold water in a large resealable bag or plastic container. Let the chops sit in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours in the brine solution, turning the bag or chops once.
2. Remove the chops from the brine and pat dry with paper towel and season with your favorite optional dry rub. Allow the chops to sit at room temperature 1 hour before grilling.
3. Place a shallow roasting pan or baking sheet in the oven with the oven rack set in the lower middle position. Pre-heat the oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit(230 Celsius). We tested temperatures from 250-450 and found no difference in the chops for tenderness and juiciness,lower temperatures simply took longer to cook.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat about 4-5 minutes. Put the chops in the skillet about 1/4 inch apart and sear 2 minutes on each side until well browned. If using bone in chops place the bones inwards to center of skillet.
5. Transfer chops from skillet to the pre-heated pan in the oven. Turning the chops over once cook until an instant-read thermometer reads 135-140 degrees Fahrenheit(57-60 Celsius).
6. Remove chops from oven, tent loosely with foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Internal temperatures should rise and register 145-150 degrees Fahrenheit(63-66 Celsius) for medium doneness, anything more will begin to dry out and toughen the chops.
Baked Pork Chop Recipes
|Thick Chops||Medium||Medium-Well||Well Done|
|1 Inch Chop||8-10 minutes||10-12 minutes||12-14 minutes|
|1.5 Inch Chop||10-12 minutes||12-14 minutes||14-16 minutes|
|Temperature||145-150 degrees ||150-160 degrees ||160-170 degrees |
The above times are total minutes in the oven turning once after the initial searing on med-high heat in the skillet. The above times are guide-lines, temperatures differ from oven to oven, you should always use an instant-read thermometer to check the doneness.
Click Here To Go To Pork Chops
Click Here To Go To Pork Roast
Return To Top - Baked Pork Chop Recipes
Check out this new, live sports game FireFan. It’s free, it’s fun, and it’s family friendly! Click to preregister and receive a bonus for signing up early. FireFan will be released the week of Nov. 21 2016.https://www.firefan.com/?code=app4fans