Eye Of Round Roast
Flavor: 2 Out Of 5
Alternative Names: Round Eye Pot Roast
The eye of round resembles a tenderloin but is much tougher. It has mediocre flavor and is less juicy than most roast.
Most people cook the eye using the dry roasted method like most oven roast beef recipes, thinly sliced and not overcooked, about medium rare makes a good deli-style roast.
Pot roasting is another option we like to use that will give you nice results, follow the cooking instructions for blade roast to cook using the pot roast method.
The eye is a very lean cut and can be dry but takes well to marinating. Marinating for 1-2 hours or overnight in the fridge will give it more flavor and less chewy.
1. An hour before cooking, remove the roast from the refrigerator to bring to room temperature.
2. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees and set the rack to the lower middle position.
Take a heavy bottomed roasting pan or cast iron skillet, set on stove top and heat the pan or skillet to medium-high.
Once the pan is hot sear the roast on all sides 1½-2 minutes per side for about 6-8 minutes total time.
3. Carefully remove the roast, set a wire rack in center of the roasting pan and place roast fat side up on the rack.
Season with salt and pepper and generously sprinkle your favorite seasonings and herbs if the roast hasn't been marinated. Cloves of garlic may be used cut in half lengthwise and with a small knife cut small slits into the top of the roast and insert the garlic clove halves into the roast.
4. Transfer the pot to the oven and cook, uncovered until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the roast registers 130-140 degrees, about 1-2 hours depending on size and shape. Check the temperature 45 minutes to 1 hour after entering the oven.
5. Remove the roast from oven and tent with foil. Let it rest at least 15- 20 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute themselves evenly throughout the roast before slicing into thin slices.
|INSTANT-READ THERMOMETER #1 Best Seller|
|Doneness||Description||Meat Thermometer Reading|
|Rare||Red with cold, soft center||125-130 degrees|
|Medium-Rare||Red with warm, somewhat firm center||135-140 degrees|
|Medium||Pink and firm throughout||140-150 degrees|
|Medium-well||Pink line in center, quite firm||150-155 degrees|
|Well-done||Gray-brown throughout and completely firm||160-165 degrees|
Check out this new, live sports game FireFan. It’s free, it’s fun, and it’s family friendly! Click to preregister and receive a bonus for signing up early. FireFan will be released the week of Nov. 21 2016.https://www.firefan.com/?code=app4fans