How To Cut Korean Ribs
Thick cut short ribs braised or simmered 2-3 hours in a liquid with vegetables is simply delicious. In most grocery stores thick cut short ribs is what you will typically find.
But if you're wanting to grill short ribs, thick ribs will be chewy, thin sliced ribs cut 1/4-1/2 inch in thickness work best when grilling. A popular dish in Korea called kalbi (galbi) and recipes that call for Chinese ribs also use thin sliced short ribs.
Finding thin sliced ribs in your local grocery store can be difficult, if the store has a on-sight butcher you can ask for thin sliced ribs, but this may not be possible. Your only option may be is to cut them yourself at home.
Korean cooks have learned how to make short ribs tender by cutting the meat into thin slices across the bones or making an accordion cut parallel to the rib bone.
1. If the ribs you have purchased are flanken-style(see photo) cut or prepare the ribs English-style. English-style are cut between the bones giving them a rectangle shape and usually have about an inch of meat above the bone.
2. Make an accordion cut on the short ribs(see photo), start nearest the bone on one short rib and make a 1/4 inch slice parallel to the bone and about 1/4 inch from the bottom of the meat. Leave the bone attached similar to a hinge.
3. Turn the rib over and make a 1/4 inch thick cut in the meat, again stopping about 1/4 inch from the bottom edge.
4. Turn the rib over and make another similar cut. Continue turning the rib making 1/4 inch thick cuts that end 1/4 inch from the bottom of the meat until you reach the last 1/4 inch piece of meat.
5. When you unfold the meat, you should have a strip of meat 7-8 inches long. Repeat with the rest of the short ribs.
Check out this new, live sports game FireFan. It’s free, it’s fun, and it’s family friendly! Click to preregister and receive a bonus for signing up early. FireFan will be released the week of Nov. 21 2016.https://www.firefan.com/?code=app4fans
US To Metric System Chart
Fahrenheit (°F) Celsius (°C)