Meat Loaf Recipes
Meat loaf is one of those dishes that can be prepared so many different ways using so many different ingredients, if you asked 20 people for their favorite recipe, there is a good chance not one of the recipes for meat loaf would be the same.
Many meat loaf recipes call for a combination of ground beef, pork and veal however simple hamburger recipes using just ground beef will work on its own. Many stores don’t carry veal on a regular basis but if you can find it we found the best ground beef recipes to have a mixture of 2 part ground beef (chuck), 1 part ground pork and 1 part ground veal. If veal is hard to find then 2/3 ground beef and 1/3 ground pork would be our next choice.
I prefer not to use a loaf pan, the top and sides will brown nicely and cook more evenly. Baking the meat loaf free-form on a lined baking sheet gives nice results.
Meat Loaf with Glaze
1. Glaze; mix all the ingredients together in a small saucepan.
2. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat the oil in a skillet; add the onion and garlic, sauté about 5-6 minutes. Set aside to cool while preparing the remaining ingredients.
3. Mix the eggs with the thyme, black pepper, salt, mustard, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and milk in a bowl. Add the egg mixture to the meat in a large bowl along with the crackers, and cooked onion and garlic; mix with a fork until evenly blended and the mixture does not stick to the bowl. If mixture sticks add a little more milk.
4. Wet hands and pat the mixture into a loaf shape approximately 10 by 5 inches. Place on a foil lined rimmed baking sheet. Brush on half the glaze, arrange the bacon slices crosswise over the loaf to cover it and use a spatula to tuck the bacon ends under the loaf.
5. Bake until the bacon is crisp and the internal temperature is 160 degrees about 1 hour. Cool 20-30 minutes. Simmer the remaining glaze over medium heat, slice the loaf and serve with the remaining glaze.