Top Sirloin Roast
Flavor: 4 Out Of 5Alternative Names:
Top Butt, Center Cut Roast, Baron of Beef, London Broil
Cooking InstructionsTop Sirloin Recipes
A low temperature of 250 degrees will cook the sirloin roast evenly through from the center to the outer edge without any drying out, leaving the meat tender and juicy.
You might be concerned about the possibility of bacteria and it has been shown that this way of cooking is actually safe but to have piece of mind there is a way to solve this and at the same time give the roast a nice brown surface.
Bacteria grows from the outside and a way to get rid of bacteria is to sear the roast first. Searing the roast will seal in the juices and look very appealing when being served.
1. An hour before cooking, remove the top sirloin roast from the refrigerator to bring to room temperature.
2. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees and set the rack to the lower middle position. Take a heavy bottomed roasting pan and depending on the size of the pan you will be using, set the pan on 1 burner or 2 burners if you have a large pan and set the temperature to medium-high. Once the pan is hot sear the roast on all sides for about 6-8 minutes total time. A frying pan also can be used to sear the roast.
3. Carefully remove the roast, set a wire rack in center of the roasting pan and place roast fat side up on the rack. Season with salt and pepper and generously sprinkle your favorite seasonings such as onion or garlic powder etc. Cloves of garlic may be used cut in half lengthwise and with a small knife cut small slits into the top of the roast and insert the garlic clove halves into the roast.
4. Transfer the pot to the oven and cook, uncovered until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the roast registers 110 degrees, about 1-2 hours depending on size and shape. Check the temperature 45 minutes to 1 hour after entering the oven.
5. Adjust oven temperature to 500 degrees and cook until the internal temperature reaches 130-140 degrees, about 15-20 minutes.
6. Remove the top sirloin roast from oven and tent with foil. Let it rest at least 15- 20 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute themselves evenly throughout the roast. Cut twine off roast and cut across the grain into thin slices. If the twine is tied correctly it should run across the grain, so just cut in the same direction the twine was tied.Below is a cooking chart for top sirloin roast recipe. Remember you should always use an instant-read thermometer to check the doneness of a roast. The internal temperature will rise about 5-10 degrees during resting time, remove the roast 5-10 degrees before desired doneness.
|Doneness||Description||Meat Thermometer Reading|
|Rare||Red with cold, soft center||125-130 degrees|
|Medium-Rare||Red with warm, somewhat firm center||135-140 degrees|
|Medium||Pink and firm throughout||140-150 degrees|
|Medium-well||Pink line in center, quite firm||150-155 degrees|
|Well-done||Gray-brown throughout and completely firm||160-165 degrees|