This basic crock pot chili recipe is well balanced for taste and texture. With any homemade chili recipe chili recipe you can add or subtract ingredients to suit your own taste. Adding more red pepper flakes, chili powder or chipotle chili will turn up the heat if you like your slow cooker chili recipes hot.
In many slow cooker chili recipes the meat can turn out gritty, a mixture of milk and bread combined with the ground beef before browning will solve this problem. Adding diced celery or diced green peppers was another option that we also enjoyed.
|SLOW COOKER TOP SELLERS|
Serves 7-10 People
Cooking Time 6-8 hours on low or 3-5 hours on high
Crock Pot Chili Recipe
1. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot, about 4-5 minutes. Add onions, garlic, tomato paste, oregano, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes and cook until vegetables are slightly soft, about 7-8 minutes.
2. Meanwhile with a fork, mash milk and bread in a large bowl until the mixture is well flattened. Mix in ground beef, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, mixing all together using your hands.
3. Add beef mixture to the skillet, breaking up any large pieces of ground beef with a spoon. Stir until the beef is slightly browned, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in about half the tomato puree, scraping up any bits in the skillet. Transfer to the slow cooker.
4. Add to slow cooker stirring, the remaining tomato puree, brown sugar, chipotle chili, red kidney beans and diced tomatoes with juice. Cover and cook 6-8 hours on low or 3-5 hours on high.
5. Let chili settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from the surface with a large spoon. Season chili with salt and pepper to taste and serve.