Eye Of Round Steak
Flavor: 2 Out Of 5
Tenderness: 1 Out Of 5
Alternative Names: Eye Steak
The eye of round comes form the outer part of the round, separated from the bottom round where the muscles are well exercised. The eye is a small round shaped steak that can be used in stews and for cube steak.
The eye is a very lean steak, great for low fat diets and because it is so lean more and more eye of round recipes can be found but is a tough steak that requires a tenderizing marinade before its grilled, broiled or pan-seared.
1. Trim off any excess fat, mix together the marinade according to its recipe. For best results place the eye of round steak in a resealable plastic food bag with 1/2 to 1 cup(250ml) of marinade, squeeze any air from bag, refrigerate 6-24 hours.
A resealable bag will cut down on clean up, and allow you occasionally to turn the bag to evenly distribute the marinade. You can also marinade in plastic, stainless steel, or glass containers, covered with a lid, but do not use aluminum or tinfoil.
2. Remove steaks from refrigerator 1 hour before grilling to bring to room temperature. Remove the meat from the marinade and blot it dry using a paper towel, season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. If using a gas grill, first brush the grill with vegetable oil to prevent sticking, preheat on high for 10-15 minutes with lid down.
4. Scrape grill clean with grill brush, and adjust heat to medium high.
5. Cook the steaks turning once, for best results cook to medium-rare 135 degrees or medium 145 degrees, but no more, anything more will begin to dry out the steaks.
6. Remove steaks, tent with foil 5-10 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute themselves evenly throughout the steak, before slicing steak thinly across the grain. The steaks will rise another 5 degrees well resting.
|Eye Of Round Steak||Rare||Medium-Rare||Medium||Medium-Well||Well Done|
|1/2 Inch Steak||2 minutes||2-3 minutes||3-4 minutes||4-5 minutes||5-6 minutes|
|3/4 Inch Steak||2-3 minutes||3-4 minutes||4-5 minutes||5-6 minutes||6-7 minutes|
|1 Inch Steak||3-4 minutes||4-5 minutes||5-6 minutes||6-7 minutes||8-9 minutes|
|1 1/2 Inch Steak||5-6 minutes||7-8 minutes||8-10 minutes||10-12 minutes||13-15 minutes|
|Temperature||125-130 degrees||130-140 degrees||140-150 degrees||150-160 degrees||160-170 degrees|
|INSTANT-READ THERMOMETER #1 Best Seller|