Pork Shoulder with Lime
1. Remove roast from refrigerator one hour before cooking to bring to room temperature.
2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 275 degrees. Season roast generously with salt and pepper.
3. In a bowl mix 1 tablespoon lime juice, garlic, brown sugar, cumin and jalapeno. Set aside.
4. In a dutch oven or stock pot heat 2 tablespoons of oil on medium high heat 3-4 minutes. Brown all sides of the roast about 1½-2 minutes per side. A heavy skillet can also be use to brown the roast. Remove the roast from pot to a plate.
5. Cut small slits 1 inch deep and 1 inch long every 2 inches apart around the roast. Rub the roast with the garlic mixture, working the mixture into the slits.
6. In the same Dutch oven or pot over medium heat add the onions for a few minutes to soften them. Stirring add remaining lime juice and the chicken broth. Return the roast to the Dutch oven or pot, cover with lid, bring to a simmer over medium heat and then transfer pot to the oven.
6. Cook, turning roast every 45 minutes for 3½-4 hours, until a fork slices easily in and out of the meat.
7. Transfer the roasted pork shoulder from the pot, tent with tinfoil 20-30 minutes before carving or shredding.