Cross Rib Steak
Flavor: 3 Out Of 5
Tenderness: 2 Out Of 5
Alternative Names: London Broil, Beef Chuck Steak, Chuck Shoulder Steak, Shoulder Clod
Called beef shoulder steak in the U.S. and boneless cross rib in Canada, it is a single muscle steak that offers good value for the budget shopper.
Marinating this lean and flavorful steak with a tenderizing marinade is an option if you want to grill this steak outdoors, pan-sear or broil indoors, however braising or simmering is the best method to cook a cross rib or any chuck steak recipes, in liquid using low heat in a covered pan.
Steak cuts from the chuck area are very tasteful and fatty. The chuck happens to be a heavily exercised muscle and contains a great deal of connective tissue including collagen.
Collagen melts during cooking, making the meat intensely flavorful. Cooking steak from this area benefit from slow, wet cooking methods.
|CAST-IRON SKILLET #1 BEST SELLER|
1. Season the cross rib with salt and pepper to taste and add any of your favorite seasoning.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a deep skillet to medium high if you wish to cook stove top.
Another option is to heat a lightly oiled dutch oven, or stock pot, beginning on the stove on medium high and later transporting to the oven.
3. When the oil has heated up, about 3 minutes, add the steak and sear 2-3 minutes on each side until nicely browned. You can add slices of onion, garlic, peppers etc. if desired with the steak during the searing process.
4. Add enough liquid (such as beef broth, chicken broth, canned soup, canned tomatoes, red wine, water or any combination) to just cover the steak.
5. Bring liquid to a boil on medium high heat, then quickly reduce to low heat to maintain a slow simmer. Don't boil, this will toughen rather than tenderize the beef. Keep lid on tight and don't lift unnecessarily, no need to turn steak and simmer 75-90 minutes until fork tender.
If you are using a dutch oven or stockpot, preheat oven to 300 degrees, and once liquid is simmering, transfer pot with lid, to oven for 75-90 minutes until you have a fork tender chuck steak recipe.