Italian Meatball Recipe
Spaghetti & meatballs, a meatball sub or just meatballs in a sauce are a few ways to enjoy ground meat rolled into little balls mixed with spices and herbs. A homemade meatball recipe can be made with beef, pork, veal or any combination of the three.
When using ground beef we don’t recommend using extra lean unless under doctor’s order for your diet, using ground beef from the chuck (shoulder), makes for the best Italian meatball recipe, producing a juicier and tastier meatball.
How to make meatballs and keep them from falling apart when cooking, a binder is used to keep them together which could include crackers, dried bread crumbs or fresh bread crumbs soaked in either milk, yogurt, buttermilk or egg yolk.
We prefer to use 2/3 ground beef and 1/3 ground pork however ground beef alone will work nicely. Fresh bread crumbs with the crust removed soaked in buttermilk and egg yolk will make a very moist and tasty meatball recipe
1. Combine buttermilk and bread in a bowl, let it sit 10-15 minutes pressing with a fork into a smooth paste.
2. Put the ground meat, garlic, salt, pepper, egg yolk and parmesan cheese in a bowl. Add the milk-bread mixture and combine until evenly mixed
3. Shape 1-1.5 tablespoons of ground meat mixture into a 1-1.5 inch round meatball. When making meatballs don’t form a tightly pressed meatball, use a light touch or they will become hard. This should make about 20-30 meatballs.
|CAST-IRON SKILLET #1 BEST SELLER|
4. Heat the vegetable oil on medium-high in a skillet or sauté pan 4-5 minutes. Test the oil by adding a tiny piece of meat, its ready when the oil sizzles. Add the meatballs in a single layer, turning several times until evenly browned on all sides, about 10-12 minutes.
5. Remove meatballs to a paper towel lined plate and remove oil from pan. Add the meatball sauce and cook over medium heat until hot.
6. Add the meatballs and simmer 4-5 minutes turning occasionally until heated through. Serve.