Sirloin Tip Side Steak
Flavor: 2 Out Of 5
Tenderness: 2 Out Of 5
Alternative Names: Sirloin Tip Eye Steak
The tip side steak comes form the sirloin tip (round tip), the cap is removed and separated along a natural seam creating the tip center steak on one half and the tip side steak on the other.
The tip side steak is a lean steak that can be cut for stir-fry, stew or cube steaks. The side tip should be marinated before grilling, broiling or pan-searing.
1. Trim off any excess fat, mix together the marinade according to its recipe. For best results place the sirloin tip steak in a resealable plastic food bag with 1/2 to 1 cup(250ml) of marinade, squeeze any air from bag, refrigerate 6-24 hours.
A resealable bag will cut down on clean up, and allow you occasionally to turn the bag to evenly distribute the marinade. You can also marinade in plastic, stainless steel, or glass containers, covered with a lid, but do not use aluminum or tinfoil.
2. Remove steaks from refrigerator 1 hour before grilling to bring to room temperature. Remove the meat from the marinade and blot it dry using a paper towel, season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. If using a gas grill, first brush the grill with vegetable oil to prevent sticking. Preheat on high for 10-15 minutes with lid down.
4. Scrape grill clean with grill brush, and adjust heat to medium high.
5. Cook the sirloin tip side steaks turning once, for best results cook to medium-rare 135 degrees or medium 145 degrees, but no more, anything more will begin to dry out the steaks.
6. Remove steaks, tent with foil 5-10 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute themselves evenly throughout the steak, before slicing steak thinly across the grain. The steaks will rise another 5 degrees well resting.
|Sirloin Tip Side Steak||Rare||Medium-Rare||Medium||Medium-Well||Well Done|
|1/2 Inch Steak||2 minutes||2-3 minutes||3-4 minutes||4-5 minutes||5-6 minutes|
|3/4 Inch Steak||2-3 minutes||3-4 minutes||4-5 minutes||5-6 minutes||6-7 minutes|
|1 Inch Steak||3-4 minutes||4-5 minutes||5-6 minutes||6-7 minutes||8-9 minutes|
|Temperature||125-130 degrees||130-140 degrees||140-150 degrees||150-160 degrees||160-170 degrees|
The above times are guide-lines, temperatures differ from grill to grill, do not judge a steaks doneness by minutes per side. You should always use an instant-read thermometer to check the doneness.
How To Cook A Steak Indoors