Sirloin Tip Steak
Flavor : 3 Out Of 5
Tenderness : 3 Out Of 5
Alternative Names: Round Tip Steak, Tip Steak, Sandwich Steak, Ball Tip Steak, Breakfast Steak, Knuckle Steak
Don't be fooled by the sirloin part in the name, beef sirloin tip is not the same as top sirloin. The sirloin tip lies at the top of the round or hip, and above the sirloin tip lies the top sirloin which is joined to the shortloin, which means the top sirloin will be somewhat more tender than the tip.
The sirloin tip is a lean horseshoe shaped cut that is economical, can be used to make cutlets(fast fry), stir-fry, kabobs, stew, cube steak and many cookbooks will have sirloin tip steak recipes because of its many uses. Because it is very lean, it can be dry and chewy, it should be a marinating steak unless cut very thin. It is best to marinate 6-24 hours in a tenderizing marinade before grilling, broiling or pan-searing.
1. Trim off any excess fat, mix together the marinade according to its recipe. For best results place the sirloin tip steak in a resealable plastic food bag with 1/2 to 1 cup(250ml) of marinade, squeeze any air from bag, refrigerate 6-24 hours.
A resealable bag will cut down on clean up, and allow you occasionally to turn the bag to evenly distribute the marinade. You can also marinade in plastic, stainless steel, or glass containers, covered with a lid, but do not use aluminum or tinfoil.
2. Remove steaks from refrigerator 1 hour before grilling to bring to room temperature. Remove the meat from the marinade and blot it dry using a paper towel, season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. First brush the grill with vegetable oil to prevent sticking. Preheat on high for 10-15 minutes with lid down if using a gas grill.
4. Scrape grill clean with grill brush, and adjust heat to medium high.
5. Cook the sirloin tip steaks turning once, for best results cook to medium-rare 135 degrees or medium 145 degrees, but no more, anything more will begin to dry out the steaks.
6. Remove steaks, tent with foil 5-10 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute themselves evenly throughout the steak, before slicing steak thinly across the grain. The steaks will rise another 5 degrees well resting.
|Sirloin Tip Steak||Rare||Medium-Rare||Medium||Medium-Well||Well Done|
|1/2 Inch Steak||2 minutes||2-3 minutes||3-4 minutes||4-5 minutes||5-6 minutes|
|3/4 Inch Steak||2-3 minutes||3-4 minutes||4-5 minutes||5-6 minutes||6-7 minutes|
|1 Inch Steak||3-4 minutes||4-5 minutes||5-6 minutes||6-7 minutes||8-9 minutes|
|1 1/2 Inch Steak||5-6 minutes||7-8 minutes||8-10 minutes||10-12 minutes||13-15 minutes|
|Temperature||125-130 degrees||130-140 degrees||140-150 degrees||150-160 degrees||160-170 degrees|
How To Cook A Steak Indoors
|INSTANT-READ THERMOMETER #1 Best Seller|
Return To Top - Sirloin Tip Steak
US To Metric System Chart
Fahrenheit (°F) Celsius (°C)