Swedish Meatball Recipe
Swedish meatballs recipes differ from Italian meatballs. Swedish meatballs use spices such as nutmeg and allspice with a sweet cream sauce, Italian meatballs are made with garlic and cheese in a tomato type sauce.
Recipes for meatballs can be made from beef, pork, veal or any combination of the three. When using ground beef we don’t recommend using extra lean unless under doctor’s orders for your diet, using ground beef from the chuck (shoulder) will produce a juicier and tastier meatball.
In order to keep the meatballs from falling apart when cooking, a binder is used to keep them together which could include crackers, dried bread crumbs or fresh bread crumbs soaked in either milk, yogurt, buttermilk, heavy cream or egg yolk.
We prefer to use ½ ground beef and ½ ground pork for this Swedish meatball recipe, however using beef or pork alone will work. Fresh bread crumbs(no crust) soaked in a heavy cream makes for very moist and tasty easy Swedish meatballs.
1. Combine heavy cream and bread in a bowl, let it sit 10-15 minutes pressing with a fork into a smooth paste.
2. Put the ground meats, allspice, nutmeg, salt, pepper, onion and egg yolk in a bowl. Add the cream-bread mixture and combine until evenly mixed.
|CAST-IRON SKILLET #1 BEST SELLER|
3. Shape 1-1.5 tablespoons of ground meat mixture into a 1-1.5 inch round meatball. When making meatballs don’t form a tightly pressed meatball, use a light touch or they will become hard. This should make about 20-30 meatballs.
4. Heat the vegetable oil on medium-high in a skillet or sauté pan 4-5 minutes. Test the oil by adding a tiny piece of meat, its ready when the oil sizzles. Add the meatballs in a single layer, turning several times until evenly browned on all sides, about 10-12 minutes.
5. Remove meatballs to a paper towel lined plate and remove oil from pan. Add the Swedish Meatball Sauce and cook over medium-high heat until hot.
6. Add ½ cup heavy cream, meatballs and simmer 4-5 minutes turning occasionally until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and season with salt & pepper. Serve with noodles, potatoes or as a appetizer.