Pork Shoulder Blade Roast
Flavor: 5 Out Of 5
Alternative Names: Pork Butt Roast, Boston Butt, Boston Shoulder
The blade or in some regions known as Boston butt is the upper portion of the front shoulder, the lower shoulder portion is called the picnic.
Meat form the blade is relatively fatty making for juicy and flavorful roasts when cooked long and slow.
Very succulent and tender, this particular roast does not mind being cooked to well done due to its internal marbling. A whole pork shoulder blade roast weighs about 9-10 pounds (4-5 kg).
Enhanced or seasoned pork is becoming more and more popular in grocery stores in the United States and Canada. If the pork you have purchased is enhanced do not use a brine solution or add any salt to the recipe. Read this article to learn more about enhanced or seasoned pork.
1. Remove roast from refrigerator one hour before cooking to bring to room temperature.
2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 275 degrees. Season roast generously with salt and pepper.
3. In a dutch oven or stock pot heat 2 tablespoons of oil on medium high heat 3-4 minutes. Brown all sides of the roast about 1½-2 minutes per side. A heavy skillet can also be use to brown the roast. Remove the roast from pot to a plate.
4. Now this is where you can experiment with different flavors and spices. Try stirring in chopped onions, celery, garlic to the pot on medium heat until beginning to brown 3-4 minutes. Stir in a ¼ cup of liquid (chicken broth, wine, soup, water etc.) scraping the bottom of pan with spoon to loosen brown bits.
Below are some excellent rub and spice recipes for cooking pork shoulder.
5. Return roast back to the pot and add enough liquid to come about 1/3 up the side of the roast. Cover with lid, bring to a simmer over medium heat and then transfer pot to the oven.
6. Cook, turning roast every 45 minutes for 3½-4 hours, until a fork slices easily in and out of the meat.
7. Transfer the boston pork roast from the pot, tent with tinfoil 20-30 minutes before carving or let cool down before pulling apart.
PORK SHOULDER RECIPES
|Pork Shoulder with Lime||Pork Roast with Beer|
Check out this new, live sports game FireFan. It’s free, it’s fun, and it’s family friendly! Click to preregister and receive a bonus for signing up early. FireFan will be released the week of Nov. 21 2016.https://www.firefan.com/?code=app4fans